Friday, October 23, 2009

Finding Truth

This morning I had to ask myself why my mind was holding on like a dog with a bone to a certain idea. The idea was of fixing someone elses life. I imagined conversations. I imagined inviting this person to lunch. I also imagined the unintended outcome of indignation from the other person. I had to ask myself, what about this person's situation is my mind grasping on to. What about this situation concerns and bothers me so much. What is the drama I’m trying to create in my own life?

I realized after a nice walk, listening to beautiful music and seeing smiling faces, that there is no drama. My focus is on living my life and creating the art, music, and writing that flows through me and onto the page. It was a relief to realize that I am not responsible for fixing anyone. I can only live as an example being my true self and hope that others see that as a calling to live as their own true selves.

No amounts of pleading or lecturing will ever make anyone change. And many times we can unintentionally deflate the other person’s own desire to find their way or force them unto paths that are detours. However, it is up to us and our personal and spiritual development to resist the desire to not only give advice but to follow the advice of others, whether they be news announcers, advertisements, articles, well-meaning friends and friends with hidden agendas and that goes double for family.

The only advice we should be heeding is from those who have personally walked the path we wish to walk. And the most important advice is from our higher-selves that is connected to all and knows why we have incarnated in this life at this time. This higher self speaks to us not in traditional language but through the wind and the trees and events and nature. The last chapter of a book I’m reading, Inspiration, by Wayne Dyer is about the four ways that he experiences spirit speaking to him. Feelings, nature, events, and people are all ways spirit speaks to us.

Perhaps my own resistance to finishing this book (I’d like to think that I was savoring every word) is directly related to my ego grasping onto someone else’s drama and trying to make it my own. Now, I’m asking my ego the question. “Do we not have enough drama of our own?” And the voice which has become quiet tries to mutter, “but, this is our drama, but.” And now it sulks off like a reprimanded child. I know it will be back; and it is my job to be ready.

Namaste,
Callie

No comments:

Post a Comment